Naturopathic Medicine for Babes to Teens
By applying the principles of Naturopathic Medicine and using our various modalities explained in 'About Naturopathic Medicine' , Dr. Hillary's care is focused in the following areas for babies, infants, toddlers, adolescents and teens:
Babies and Infants
Growing little beings! Dr. Hillary is able to support you from day one with the your new Little Squish. Care includes:
- Well Child Checks which provide an opportunity for Dr. Dinning to track your child's growth and development, check in about any minor or major ailments, and help to prevent any illnesses that may arise. This entails a full physical exam, a review of current concerns, and an assessment of the child's growth and development. These are performed at week 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 weeks, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18 months, 2 - 10 years old.
- Immediate Care Has your child come down with cold and flu symptoms? Fever? An allergic reaction? Or do you have a general pressing immediate concern? Dr. Hillary is able to help. Click on 'Clinic Information' to book an appointment for these situations.
- The Vaccination Process Dr. Hillary provides support to your child's immune system irrespective of the route you wish to take. By working with and boosting the body's natural immune system, treatment is tailored to either natural immunity or supporting the immune system and vaccinating through public health services coincidingly. Dr. Hillary can provide information on the process, and help to educate you on this controversial issue in order for you to feel comfortable and confident in your decisions
Toddlers and Adolescents
As lots of development occurs in these years - physically and mentally - they are pertinent years to care for your child's health to set them off on the right foot. Dr. Hillary can treat and support many areas including:
- Digestive Issues: Many of the most common medical conditions affecting children (and adults for that matter!) stem from the digestive system. In childhood the tissues and organs of the digestive system are immature and need time to develop properly. Now is the time to get that gut working efficiently and optimally! This will lead to a long life of a healthy immune system and fending off several medical conditions along the way.
- Allergies/Immune Support: Allergies and faulty immune systems arise in many different symptomatic forms such as skin dashed, belly aches and reoccurring colds an flus. If the immune system becomes chronically taxed, this can lead to more severe conditions such as cancers and autoimmune disease. By treating the immune system and the root cause of your child's allergies, Dr. Hillary can help to mitigate these long term effects.
- Behavioural Issues such as Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) and Attention Deficit and Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) are becoming more and more prevalent. As one of the 6 underlying principles of Naturopathic Medicine is to treat the whole person, these are conditions that Dr. Hillary is able to understand thoroughly and work with children and families to help navigate through the process to a happy and healthy child.
These are extremely formative years for physical, mental and emotional well being. Dr. Hillary creates a safe space for teens to explore and understand more about their own health. By allowing them to feel safe, Dr. Hillary then can help to treat certain areas such as:
- Skin Care: Part of growing up is becoming aware of your physical appearance, no matter what age this occurs at. At certain stages in life, skin issues can become quite a sensitive topic. Dr. Hillary can get to the bottom of these issues, thereby finding ways to support the body's ability to calm down skin breakouts, whether it is a rash or acne that individuals are dealing with.
- Memory/Focus/Attention and Learning Support: Learning disabilities, autism spectrum disorder, attention deficit disorder are among multiple labels placed on children and becoming more common. Dr. Hillary's care focuses on targeting key aspects of a child's issue and how it has arisen, thereby matching individualized treatment with their situation at had.
- Mood Disorders: As teenagers embark upon those ears of hormonal and physiological changes, their need for balance mentally and emotional increases. Dr. Hillary can provide tools to help teens navigate their way through conditions such as depression and anxiety.
- Eating Disorders/Body Image Issues: Anorexia and Bulimia are prevalent conditions with onset in the adolescent and teenage years. As these diseases are quite complex, Dr. Hillary can help treat both physical and emotional/mental aspects which are of concern.